- Riksbankens Jubileumsfond supports research at the department
- The Research Council supports interdisciplinary research on decryption of historical manuscripts at the department
- VR-project at the Department mentioned in BBC Travel.
- Turkic Languages in Web of Science
- Éva Á. Csató Johanson receives award
How many languages and subjects do we offer?
21 subjects, 4 programmes and more than 250 courses.
Fields of Study
Our department specializes in languages offering education in more than twenty different languages along with courses in general linguistics and language technology. Students can choose to study courses within the following eleven major subjects: Greek, Greek and Byzantine Studies, Indology, Iranian Languages, Chinese, Latin, General Linguistics, Semitic Languages, Language Technology, Turkish and Turkic Languages.
We also have additional courses in the following minor subjects: Arabic, Aramaic/Syriac, Assyriology, Hebrew, Comparative Indo-European Language Studies, Kurdish, Middle Eastern Studies, Persian, Swahili, Ancient Languages and Cultures.
The department has three affiliated forums, research environments aimed at strengthening the position of a subject at the university. The forums are either directly subordinate to the department or represent a cooperation between a few departments at the university.
In addition to these, there are a few interdisciplinary networks and research environments with a focus on a particular subject area.