Vacancies at the Department
Uppsala is Sweden's first university – founded in 1477 – and is today ranked among the top 100 in the world. Today's developments within research and education builds upon knowledge traditions with deep historical roots.
Uppsala University strives for a good working environment and fairness on all levels of employment. We therefore would like to see applicants with different backgrounds and experiences.
At the Department of Linguistics and Philology you are offered the opportunity to develop and work with the foremost experts within the area. Under Vacancies you can see which positions are open for applications. You can also do a search for all positions on the university homepage.
Researcher Ancient Greek or Byzantine Studies
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Linguistics and Philology is involved in research and education in a number of languages and language-related subjects and provides an international work environment. The department’s activities cover many of the classical and modern languages and cultures in large areas of Europe, Asia and Africa, as well as computational and general linguistics. Education is offered at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels.
Project description: The researcher will work in the group Ancient Values and Emotions under the leadership of Eric Cullhed. The group pursues projects on the following themes:
- Conceptual history. Historical research involving analysis of specific evaluative and emotional terms, concepts and categories in ancient texts.
- The Language of evaluation. Analysis of appraisal/evaluation/stance or expressions of emotion on all levels of linguistic description in ancient texts.
- Rhetoric, poetics and narratology. How and why values and emotions are represented, expressed or evoked in ancient texts
- History of value- and emotion theorization. Reconstruction, exegesis, evaluation and contextualization of ancient theories about value or emotion (or specific values or emotions)
Responsibilities: We are seeking a colleague who is able to develop and communicate ideas across disciplines. The researcher will conduct research, participate in the joint activities of the group and collaborate on a grant application.
- PhD dissertation within a relevant area, such as a philological discipline (e.g. Greek, Byzantine Studies, Latin, Indology, Semitic Languages, Sinology, Comparative Indo-European Philology), linguistics, philosophy, comparative literature, history of ideas or history
- Demonstrated knowledge of Ancient Greek (a minimum of 60 ECTS credits or equivalent level of skill)
Additional qualifications: Solid and broad language skills are a merit, as is experience from international interdisciplinary research collaborations.
Application: The application may be written in English or Swedish and should contain
- A letter in which the applicant briefly describes their research interest and motivation to join the research group Ancient Values and Emotions (1–2 pages).
- CV that contains all relevant information regarding competence and experiences and a complete publication list.
- Contact information to two reference persons that we can contact if needed.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: 2021-08-01 or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: The position is a temporary position for 6 months.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
For further information about the position please contact: Associate Professor Eric Cullhed (Eric.Cullhed@lingfil.uu.se)
Please submit your application by 15th April 2021, UFV-PA 2021/987.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Linguistics and Philology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position 3-6 months
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/987
Last application date: 2021-04-15